2018-19 PTA Reflections (Arts Contest)
For 50 years, National PTA’s Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.
Each year, hundreds of thousands of students in Pre-K through Grade 12 create and submit original works of art in one or all of the following arts categories:
This year’s entries should reflect upon and interpret the theme: Heroes Around Me
How to Participate
- Refer to the Official Rules and follow their instructions closely!
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only (NO copyrighted images allowed - i.e. don't use images associated with Superman, Batman, etc)
- A student may develop an entry inside or outside of the school.
- A student may submit entries in more than one arts area and/or multiple entries in a single
- Each student entry must be accompanied by a paper student Entry Form, signed by a parent
- Student entries MUST include a title and an artist statement, which communicates the
artist’s inspiration for the work and how it relates to the theme. The statement must describe
the content and include at least 10 words but not exceed 100 words.
Families can support their children’s participation by creating time and space for students
to work on their entries, providing encouragement and needed materials and volunteering to
support the Reflections Program.
Entries should represent students’ unique creativity—adults are welcome to encourage
students but are asked not to assist in any way with their interpretation of the theme or artistic
expression. Appropriate accommodation for Special Artists is allowed.
Questions to Inspire our Children:
Who do you admire? Who inspires you? Who do you see as a hero? What do heroes do and
how are they important? Choreograph a dance, produce a film, write a poem or story,
compose a song, take a picture or create a piece of visual art and tell us your interpretation
of the theme: Heroes Around Me.